Two people were killed and six others injured in a knife attack near the Las Vegas Strip on Thursday morning, and police said late in the day that a suspect had been arrested.
The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said in a statement that one of the victims was pronounced dead at the scene and the other at University Medical Center.
LVMPD captain Dory Koren said at a news conference Thursday afternoon that three of the victims were in critical condition. Other victims “seemed stable,” Koren said. LVMPD Sheriff Joseph Lombardo said at another news conference later in the afternoon that locals and tourists were among the victims.
Police recovered a “large kitchen knife” from the scene, Koren said.
Police said the stabbing began around 11:40 a.m. local time. LVMPD deputy chief James LaRochelle said Thursday afternoon, at first it appeared to be unprovoked. LaRochelle said that after stabbing the first victim, the suspect stabbed several more south of Las Vegas Boulevard. The suspect then turned to a corner and fled east, where several “concerned citizens” were behind him, LaRochelle said. The suspect was then taken into custody by a combination of hotel security and LVMPD officers.
Yoni Barrios, 32, was booked at the Clark County Detention Center on two counts of open manslaughter and six counts of attempted murder, court records showed. His initial court appearance was scheduled for Friday afternoon.
LaRochelle said the suspect does not appear to be a local resident.
Police said that the spot was secured around 1:50 pm local time. Koren said a section of Las Vegas Boulevard remained closed so that police could continue to collect evidence.