Danish police believe a shopping mall shooting that killed three people and seriously injured four others was not related to the terror, and said on Monday that the gunman acted alone and appeared to be that he chose his victims at random.
Copenhagen Chief Police Inspector Soren Thomasson said the victims – a 17-year-old boy and a 17-year-old girl, both Danes and a 47-year-old Russian man – were killed when a gunman opened fire on Sunday afternoon. Field’s shopping mall, one of Scandinavia’s largest.
Thomasson said four others were treated for gunshot wounds – two Danish and two Swedish nationals – and were in serious but stable condition. He said several others suffered minor injuries while fleeing from the shopping mall.
Thomson said police had found no indication that anyone helped the gunman, identified as Dane, 22, during the attack. He said that although the motive was unclear, there was nothing to suggest terrorism, and that the suspect would be presented with initial charges of murder later on Monday.
Danish broadcaster TV2 published a grainy photo of the alleged gunman, wearing knee-length shorts, a vest or sleeveless shirt, and holding a rifle in his right hand.
“He seemed very violent and angry,” eyewitness Mahdi al-Wazni told TV2. “He talked to me and said it (rifle) isn’t real because I was filming it. He was very proud of what he was doing.”
Pictures from the scene showed people running out of the mall in panic. Following the exchange of fire, a large contingent of heavily armed police officers patrolled the area and several fire tenders were also parked outside the mall.
Danish Prime Minister Mette Fredriksen said the Scandinavian country had been hit by a “brutal attack”.
“It’s incomprehensible. Heartbreaking. Pointless,” she said. “Our beautiful and usually so safe capital was replaced in a second.”
Images from the scene showed people running out of malls, and Denmark’s TV2 broadcaster posted a photo of a man being held on a stretcher. Witnesses said people were crying and hid in shops.
Laurits Hermansen told Danish broadcaster DR that he was in a clothing store in the shopping center with his family when he heard “three, four bangs. There was a really loud bang. It seemed right next to the store.” Bullets are being fired in me.”
There is a line right in front of the metro station on the outskirts of the shopping center Copenhagen that connects the city center to the international airport. A big highway also runs next to the mall.
A concert by former One Direction band member Harry Styles, which was scheduled to be held at the nearby Royal Arena on Sunday night, was cancelled.
“I am heartbroken with the people of Copenhagen. I adore this city. The people are so warm and full of love. I am devastated to see the victims, their families and everyone else hurt,” Stiles tweeted, “I’m sorry we couldn’t be together. Please take care of each other. H.”
The royal palace said a reception with Crown Prince Frederick linked to the Tour de France cycling race had been cancelled. The first three stages of the race were held in Denmark this year. The reception was to be held on the royal yacht which is based in Snderborg, the city where the third stage ended.
In a joint statement, Queen Margrethe, their son Crown Prince Frederick and their wife, Crown Princess Mary, said: “We do not yet know the full extent of the tragedy, but it is already clear that more people lost their lives.” And he has been injured even more.”
“The situation demands unity and care,” he said in a statement.