30 years of evidence including DNA possibly destroyed at NYPD storage facility

Evidence including DNA and objects collected from crime scenes, dating back up to 30 years, can be destroyed in a 3-alarm fire It overtook the New York City Police Department Storage Facility in Brooklyn. Fire officials said eight people received minor injuries.

FDNY department chief John Hodgens said at a press conference that the explosion occurred around 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the Erie Basin Auto Pound, a facility in Brooklyn’s Red Hook neighborhood where the NYPD stores evidence.

According to NYPD Chief Jeffrey Maddrey, the building was a police department pound that stored “a lot of biological evidence” as well as e-bikes and cars.

“DNA, things related to past crimes, burglaries, shootings, we also have some biological evidence here,” Maddre said at the press conference. “It’s mainly evidence, but we store other things in there too.”

Officials said that rape evidence kits were not stored at the facility.

A fire broke out at the Erie Basin Auto Pound on Columbia Street in Red Hook at around 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, December 13, 2022, officials said.

New York Daily News

Maddre said, “The evidence is 20-30 years old. Some of the evidence was even property of (Hurricane) Sandy.”

Police said they would not know the extent of the damage until the fire was extinguished, with the fire department saying it could take several days. But Hodgens said he would “estimate that most of the contents have been damaged by the fire.”

The investigation into the cause of the fire is ongoing.

Hodgens said eight people, including three FDNY members, three EMS personnel and two civilians, suffered minor injuries as a result of the fire.

NYPD impounds, massive fire breaks out at evidence warehouse in Brooklyn
A view of the site as a massive fire breaks out at an NYPD impound and evidence storage warehouse in Brooklyn on December 13, 2022 in Brooklyn, the United States.

Fatih Aktas / Anadolu Agency via Getty Images

Hodgens said, “We attempted an interior fire attack, but members were overwhelmed by the volume of the fire and we had to pull all of our firefighters out of the building and go for an exterior attack.” The building fell down.

Fire officials are using three marine fire boats and drones to bring the blaze under control.

“It’s a deep, massive amount of fire, it’s difficult to reach the seat of the fire,” Hodgens said.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button