Science

Alex Jones calls for new trial after $1 billion Sandy Hook verdict

conspiracy theorist alex jones has asked a Connecticut judge to overturn a nearly $1 billion judgment against him and order a new trial in a lawsuit by the Sandy Hook families they say about the 2012 Newtown school shooting Jones was subjected to harassment and threats from his lies.

Jones filed the request Friday, saying Judge Barbara Bellis’s pre-trial rulings resulted in an unfair trial and a “substantial miscarriage of justice.”

Jones’ attorneys Norm Pattis and Kevin Smith wrote in the motion, “Moreover, the amount of the indemnity award exceeds any reasonable relation to the evidence presented at trial.”

Christopher Mattei, the attorney for 15 plaintiffs in the lawsuit against Jones, declined to comment on Saturday’s filing, but said he and other Sandy Hook families attorneys would file a brief opposition to Jones’ request.

Twenty-one graders and six teachers of Sandy Hook Elementary School were killed in the attack on December 14, 2012.

An FBI agent who reacted to the shootings and relatives of eight children and adults killed in the massacre sued Jones for defamation and emotional distress because he forwarded a bogus narrative that the shootings were carried out by “crisis actors”. To put the gun was a hoax. control.

On October 12, six jurors in Waterbury, Connecticut, ordered Jones and his company, Free Speech Systems, to pay $965 million in compensatory damages to the plaintiffs and said that punitive damages should also be awarded. Bayliss has scheduled a hearing for early next month to determine the amount of punitive damages.

During the trial, relatives of victims often said in emotional testimony that they had been threatened and harassed for years by people who believed the lies told on Jones’ show. Strangers showed up at families’ homes to record them and publicly confronted them. People made lewd comments on social media. Family members say that they have received death threats and rape threats.

The decisions come after another jury in Texas in August ordered Jones and his company to pay nearly $50 million in damages to the parents of another slain Sandy Hook child. The third trial, on fraud claims involving two more Sandy Hook parents, is expected to be held near the end of the year in Texas.

Jones, who has admitted in recent years that the shooting took place, blasted the lawsuits and trials on his Austin, Texas-based InfoWars show, calling them unfair and a violation of his free speech rights.

But he lost his right to present those defenses when judges in Connecticut and Texas found him liable for damages by default without trial, which he told Sandy Hook lawyers to turn over some evidence, including financial documents and website analytics. For Jones’ repeated failures. ,

With the liability already established, trials in both states focused only on how much Jones should pay in damages.

Jones’ attorney, Pattis, wrote in the motions filed Friday that there was a lack of evidence linking Jones directly with people harassing and threatening the Sandy Hook families. Pattis said the test looks like a “memory service, not a test.”

“Yes, in this case the families suffered badly as a result of the murder of their children,” Pattis wrote, adding that Jones did not send people to harass and threaten the families.

“No competent evidence was presented in this trial that he ever did,” he wrote. “Instead, it was a shocking misuse of a disciplinary lapse and its transformation into a series of half-truths that misled a jury and resulted in substantial injustice.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button