Science

Delphi murders: man arrested in 2017 murders of teens Liberty German and Abigail Williams

Indiana State Police has detained a man in connection with the 2017 murders two teenage girlsofficials said on Monday. State Superintendent of Police Doug Carter announced that Richard Matthew Allen, 50, was arrested last week in connection with two murders in the murders of Liberty German, 14, and Abigail Williams, 13, that drew media attention nationwide. .

Williams and German disappeared On February 13, 2017, while hiking along historic trail routes in Delphi, Indiana, about 70 miles north of Indianapolis. Their bodies were found the next day in a wooded area, about a mile from the spot where they were last seen, and both deaths were ruled as homicides.

The news of the arrest comes after investigators hoped to identify a suspect, Thousands of Leads Reviewed without success over the course of about six years.

“I am proud to report to you that an arrest has been made,” Indiana State Superintendent of Police Doug Carter said at a Monday morning news conference. “Thanks to the literally hundreds of media outlets that have persevered in reporting and putting Abby and Libby’s memories front and center.”

Because the investigation is ongoing, Carter said additional details about the arrest and investigation would not be released yet.

“While I know you all are expecting final details regarding this arrest today, today is not that day,” he said. “This investigation is not complete, and we will not jeopardize its integrity by releasing or discussing documents or information before a reasonable time.”

Richard-Allen.jpg
Richard Allen, 50, was arrested in 2017 on two counts of murder in connection with the murders of Abigail Williams and Liberty German.

Indiana State Police


Allen was arrested last Wednesday by detectives with Delphi’s double murder task force, a group formed after Williams and German’s death that bridged local, state and federal law enforcement agencies. Carroll County Prosecutor Nicholas McClelland said Friday that a judge found probable cause to hold him without bond on double murder charges, describing Allen as a “local man”, pleading not guilty during a preliminary hearing. entered the petition.

McClelland emphasized that the investigation was still “active and ongoing” as of Monday morning, and officials continue to ask the public for any suggestions related to the 2017 murders, whether they pertain specifically to Allen. be or not.

The unsolved murders attracted widespread media attention as the ongoing police investigation yielded few answers. Shortly after the girls disappeared, investigators released the image of a potential suspect, a man dressed in denim jeans, a blue jacket and hoodie, walking in his direction on the Monon High Bridge Trail around the time of their disappearance. appeared.

Police said the photographs, apart from an audio recording that seemed to capture the muffled voice of the potential suspect, were both taken from the German’s smartphone. More than two years later, in April 2019, a video clip was also released that also attributed the teenager’s cell phone, along with an updated police sketch.

Despite continued investigation, authorities were unable to identify the person and no arrest warrant was issued. However, multiple sources told CBS Indianapolis affiliate WTTV on Friday that one person had been taken into custody in connection with the double murder. The Indiana State Police announced their upcoming news conference on the same day.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button