Science

Former San Antonio officer arrested for shooting teen in McDonald’s parking lot

James Brainand – a former officer of the San Antonio Police Department who Girl seriously injured after shooting Joe – who was eating in his car in a McDonald’s parking lot – has been arrested and charged with assault. Brainend was fired From the force on October 4, two days after the shooting.

He is now facing two counts of aggravated assault by a public servant.

Brainand shot 17-year-old Eric Cantu on October 2. In the body camera video, Brainand is seen walking towards a car parked in a McDonald’s parking lot. He then opened the driver’s side door and ordered Cantu to get out of the car. Cantu, holding the hamburger, is shocked and overturns the car.

As the car veered back, the open door hit Brainand. About five seconds after opening the door, Brainand fired five rounds at the car. He fired an additional five shots as the car ran away.

Police Training Commander Alyssa Campos said in a statement that Brainand, who had been on the force for less than a year, violated her training and police procedures after approaching a car.

Campos said, “The officer suddenly opened the driver’s door and ordered the driver to get out of the car” that Brainand had requested before the backup officers arrived.

San Antonio Police Chief William McManus said Monday, “That officer didn’t do anything that night in accordance with our training or our policies.”

Cantu’s family told on Tuesday that the teenager has been put on life support system.

“The last two days have been difficult and we look forward to more difficulties ahead, but we remain hopeful,” the family said in a statement. “We want to correct any misrepresentations that Eric is in a ‘stable state’ or that he is ‘going to be okay. it is not true. Every breath is a struggle for Eric. We continue to pray to all for our son.”

Brainand was called in for an unrelated mess at McDonald’s. He told investigators that the car looked like a car that had escaped from him the day before.

A Texas prosecutor said in a statement Friday that he did not see enough evidence to file charges against the teenager.

Bexar County District Attorney Joe Gonzales said, “While an unarmed teen was shot by a then-San Antonio police officer on Sunday, the facts and evidence we’ve found so far has called for further investigation by Eric Cantu.” The charges against him have been dismissed.” ,

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button