Science

High school employee revives student who apparently took a pill with fentanyl

Riverside, Calif. – A student at a Southern California high school was resuscitated Thursday after she stopped breathing after taking a pill apparently laced with fentanyl, officials said.

Riverside Police said in a statement that officers were called to Arlington High School in Riverside on October 20 after the 15-year-old girl’s medical emergency began.

“The student stopped breathing and the school’s resource officer, assistant principal and other staff immediately started life-saving measures,” the statement said.

Police said, “Their efforts revived the student. She started breathing and her pulse returned.”

Emergency responders also gave the girl Narcan, which is used in emergencies to reverse opioid overdoses.

Police spokesman Ryan Relsbach said the girl was taken to hospital and made a full recovery.

Police said an investigation found that the student took a suspected counterfeit oxycodone tablet containing fentanyl, which she had purchased through a social media site and delivered to her home.

Detectives later arrested two people on suspicion of selling bullets to the student.

“We are grateful that the student is safe. This is the first known case of fentanyl affecting a student within the RUSD and we want this to be the last,” said Riverside Unified School District deputy superintendent Tim Walker. “Students and families need to know that fentanyl is real and deadly.”

“When you engage in illegal drug use, you don’t know what you’re putting into your body. And with marijuana, pills, and many other narcotics being intentionally infused with fentanyl so often, the next The bar can easily be your last.” cbs los angeles quote Riverside Police Chief Larry Gonzalez said.

Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid that is 80 to 100 times more potent than morphine, and small amounts of it can kill.

In September, a 15-year-old girl died of an overdose after being found in a Hollywood High School restroom. Police said the girl and a classmate had taken a fentanyl-containing drug, which they believed was a prescription painkiller.

Last month, a 17-year-old boy at the same school was given NARCAN and hospitalized for a possible drug overdose.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button