World

Prince Harry allowed to sue UK government over security plan

Prince Harry may take the British government to court over his security arrangements in Britain, a judge in London ruled on Friday. To trouble and his wife Meghan lost publicly funded UK police protection when they stepped down as senior working royals and moved to North America in 2020.

The prince wants to personally pay for police protection when he arrives in the UK, and is challenging the government’s refusal to allow it.

Judge Jonathan Swift ruled on Friday that the case could go to the High Court of London for a full hearing. He denied some aspects of the challenge but said that some grounds “give rise to a debatable matter” which deserves hearing.

“A conclusion at the permissive stage that a case is debatable is some distance from the conclusion that the case will succeed in the final hearing,” the judge said.

A date has not been fixed for the hearing of the case.

Harry and former actress Meghan Markle married at Windsor Castle in 2019 but stepped down as working royals the following year, which they described as unbearable intrusions and Casteism British media attitude

Harry’s lawyers have said the prince is reluctant to bring the couple’s children Archie3, and 1 year old lilibet – For your motherland because it is not safe.

Harry, also known as the Duke of Sussex, wants to be able to pay for security, saying his private security team in the US does not have sufficient jurisdiction abroad or access to UK intelligence. Is.

His lawyers also say a February 2020 decision by the Executive Committee on Protecting Royalty and Public Figures to remove his full royal protection was unfair as Harry was not allowed to make “previously informed representation”.

The British government maintains that the committee’s decision was justified, and that it is not possible to privately pay for police protection.

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button