Two security incidents happened in the same hour in the Supreme Court

CBS News learned that two security incidents occurred in the US Supreme Court in the same hour on Wednesday.

Minutes before guns were seized from a Georgia man’s van near Supreme Court premises on Wednesday afternoon, a California man was arrested for claiming he had “high authority” and that he illegally An attempt was made to enter the northern gate of the High Court.

According to newly filed court documents obtained by CBS News, 73-year-old Melvin Marbre told Supreme Court police that he was in court to meet Chief Justice John Roberts and “will not be allowed into the building until He won’t go.” According to a police affidavit, Marbre falsely identified himself as a “high authority” and showed the so-called Congressional report as evidence. He told the officers, “I’m going in or you do what you have to do.”

Marbray was arrested Wednesday at 3:09 p.m., minutes before a separate security scare, in which police said they found guns in the car of 80-year-old Tony Payne, who had been arrested and is facing weapons charges. Were. Marbre’s charging documents do not immediately indicate any relationship between the men.

During a court appearance on Thursday afternoon, Marbre said he plans to return to the Supreme Court upon his release. During the proceedings, Marbre called for sovereign civil language, in which he questioned the authority of the court and the Justice Department. When asked by the court to identify his defense attorney, Marbre replied, “My attorney is the Attorney General of the United States. This is Merrick Garland. This court has no authority.”

The judge issued an order to remove him from the Supreme Court, to which Marbre replied, “I am not going away. I am going there now.” He continued, “I am asking you to release me now.”

Meanwhile, Tony H. Payne, whose white minivan was allegedly intercepted or searched, was expected to appear in DC Superior Court Thursday afternoon at approximately 3:43 p.m. Wednesday.

US Capitol Police said Wednesday that several guns were recovered and three people were taken into custody when officers checked the vehicle near the Capitol. Capitol Police said the trio told officers they had come to deliver documents to the Supreme Court.

Payne, 80, of Tunnel Hill, Georgia, was later arrested on weapons charges, Capitol police said, and his adult grandson was turned over to D.C. Disability Services. A woman accompanying him was taken into custody and released.

Capitol police said Payne could face three charges: carrying an unregistered firearm, unregistered ammunition, and a pistol without a license.

According to Capitol Police, officers noticed a white van was parked illegally and a police dog alerted officers to the search. One of the men told officers that he had guns, which are still banned in the Capitol grounds.

Officers found two handguns and a shotgun in the vehicle, Capitol police said, along with a pipe and container. A Hazmat team was also called to search the van.

The nearest Supreme Court did not open on Wednesday, but tight security arrangements have been made in the area. An eight-foot fence was put up around the court this spring after several judges received threats, which was removed in August.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button