A Virginia woman was indicted by a grand jury on murder and felony charges after her four-year-old son died earlier this year by ingesting large amounts of THC gummies, officials said. Dorothy Annette Clements, 30, was taken into custody Thursday, the Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office reported in a news release.
As the sheriff’s office reports, Clements’ young son, Tanner, died on May 8 after he was found unresponsive at his home. Doctors informed detectives that his toxicity level showed high amounts of THC, which helped investigators determine that the boy had “ingested large amounts of THC gummies,” the sheriff’s office said in its release.
The sheriff’s office said detectives also learned from doctors that the boy could have been saved if his mother had acted quickly.
“The attending physician told detectives that if medical intervention had taken place immediately after the ingestion, it could have prevented the death,” the release read.
Before being indicted, Clements told CBS News affiliate WUSA9 that he didn’t know that the gummies he bought actually contained THC. She eventually realized that her son had eaten a gummy, but didn’t believe it would harm him. He also claimed that he called the Poison Control Center.
However, the sheriff’s office said his statements were not consistent with evidence found at the home.
Clements are being held without bail at Rappahannock Regional Jail.
According to the National Capital Poison Center, accidental consumption of cannabis by children in the US is on the rise.
Number of children under the age of 12 who have consumed foods at homeFrom 132 in 2016 to nearly 2,500 last year, according to data from the American Association of Poison Control Centers.
Children are often more likely to be unintentionally exposed to cannabis because foods are presented in colorful, attractive packaging that resembles candy or other snack foods.
The National Capital Poison Center writes on its website, “Cannabis edibles may contain packaging that is remarkably similar to the snack foods that are popular among children and teens, including Doritos, Nerds, and Cheetos.” “While the packaging states that the product inside contains hemp or THC, this information is often in small print and may not be easily read or understood by young children.”